Sunday, January 9, 2011


I was assigned to cover a Sunday joust meet,and it was pouring rain. Driving, endless, rain. I got there and the organizers insisted that they were going to ride, that they would start in "about half an hour". I've heard this before, and take it to mean "we may or may not do it at all, there's internal politics going on". This is bad news for the paper though, we need a shot for Monday and were counting on this package. So, even though my equipment is already soaked, I wander the grounds hoping that they will actually ride. I saw this horse peering out of his trailer, and I felt he and I were thinking the same thing, that this was crazy and we should both be indoors. Luckily I took the shot, because eventually they did cancel without a single ride. An hour and forty-five minutes later.